Friday 21 April 2017

Kat Von D 'Lock It' Foundation - Review

Hello beauties 
If you're anything like me you will know the excitement you feel when you purchase a new beauty product. For six months straight I'd stuck to one foundation which was Too Faced's Born This Way, it became my holy grail, however I became quite eager to trial some new and different foundations. There was one I'd had my eye on for well over a year, which was Kat Von D's Lock It foundation. 
At Christmas I eventually got my hands on it and since then I've had quite a love/hate affair with it. Some days I think it's on par with Born This Way, others it appears to be the worst foundation I've ever worn!

The packaging of Lock It is very typical of Kat Von D, a mix of pretty and classic yet with a hint of gothic and alternative. Even though the bottle is simply black with an opaque holder over it, with the brand and product name in a silver artful font, I sense it's one of them products you would place with just a glimpse as it's full of character. I do have difficulty knowing what the material it's created with is as it seems well made and firm to just be plastic. 

Unlike majority of liquid foundations, this product comes without a lid, so asides from the cardboard packaging it arrives in, what you see is what you get. The application of the product is a pump which covers the head of the bottle, making it effortless to get the formula ready for appliance. 

I do find with Lock It the pump is never the exact amount. As I naturally do two pumps with all foundations I didn't alter this technique, however I've found I always end up with either with far too much left over or you need more product to blend into your face. Even though it's a known fact that with this product a little goes a long way, it's such a fast drying foundation that often it dries into your skin before you've had time to apply to your whole face, meaning you'll need more of the product. 

My favourite type of foundation is when the require little to no effort to get a smooth finish, unfortunately I found Lock It is the complete opposite. Maybe I'm not working fast enough to apply it to my face as I never find I have a natural even look when wearing this, I feel as though you have to work and make an extreme effort to get it sitting decently on my skin. Around my nose and forehead it becomes quite flaky and no matter how many times I use my beauty blender it still has a dire air to it. 
I really wanted to love this foundation, even though the first appearance was yuck I desperately wanted it to redeem itself. After application I left it for six hours or so to get a true, sincere look. I kept checking how it evolved throughout the day and it did slightly improve; I found it to be full coverage and although it wasn't faultless the 'bittiness' on my forehead became less prominent and obvious. 

Although the formula didn't make the greatest first impression, one aspect I love is the shade. With Lock It I find you have a huge spam of colours meaning hopefully there's something out there for everyone. I received shade 42, the second to palest available and honestly it's the perfect colouring for my skin. It's the lightest shade I've found so far without having to use my lightening drops or filters on photos! While I wouldn't say it would be ideal for anyone who has skin paler than mine, this is my new favourite foundation shade.

Even though the shade did match my skin to a T, you could still see I had foundation on and not in a good way. Other than the bitty effect I just wasn't a fan of the general appearance it left, I didn't feel confident whilst wearing this on the few times I've gone out in it. I wouldn't say it was patchy, more along the lines of it sinks into your skin however is still clingy and scaly. 

As I said, before the foundation entirely sank into my skin, I did get an hour or two where it wasn't so bad. For £27.00 however I won't be repurchasing the product, I had such high hopes that have been shattered. I do want to add that even though this product didn't work for me, everyone is different and this is just my experience with Lock It. It definitely hasn't put me off trying other products by Kat Von D!

Have you used Lock It?
What was your experience?

SHARE:

11 comments

Food & Baker said...

Heard so much about this brand but have never tried it myself. Such a shame about the first impressions but I'm glad it hasn't put you off with the brand all together!

Jessica | foodandbaker.co.uk / foodandbakertravels.co.uk

Llinos said...

It's a shame this product didn't work out for you, I completely get why at that price you won't be repurchasing.

Unknown said...

I've never tried Kat Von D before, but I've always intended to! It's a shame this product didn't really work for you, but I definitely wouldn't repurchase if I had had your experience either as that price is high!
Hayley x
Lifethroughtsg.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment chick!
Xx

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking time to read and comment!
Xx

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment lovely!!
Xx

AlishaValerie said...

I'm so sorry to hear that this product didn't work for you. It really upsets me when I look forward to makeup products and then they don't work for me. It's sad how pricey it costs too without being able to sample it first. πŸŒΈπŸ’—✨

With love, Alisha Valerie. x
www.AlishaValerie.com | www.twitter.com/AlishaValerie

Charlotte Clark said...

I don't use foundation so I don't really know what's good and what isn't, but this does sound a bit disappointing! And for so much money as well!

Abbey Louisa Rose said...

Such a shame that you didn't find this product worth the money! The main Kat Von D product that I've been tempted to try is the Tattoo Liner, as I don't wear foundation that regularly, I haven't been tempted by this, and it doesn't seem like I'm missing out on much! I don't like foundations where you can obviously see that you're wearing it either!

Abbey πŸ˜‡ www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

Unknown said...

Thanks for reading and leaving a comment chick!
Xx

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment Abbey!
Xx

Post a Comment

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig